Advanced USB-CAN and UART-CAN adapter that can be used as a standalone device or as an embeddable module for OEM.
Babel is an advanced USB-CAN and UART-CAN adapter designed for use with Cyphal/CAN, DroneCAN, and other CAN bus protocols. It can be used either as a complete standalone tool, as a development platform for Cyphal-centric applications, or as an OEM component in larger systems.
- General-purpose USB-CAN or UART-CAN adapter.
- Diagnostic, monitoring, and development tool for Cyphal/CAN networks.
- Generic CAN development board.
- Programmable CAN unit in OEM applications.
Babel is primarily intended for Cyphal/CAN applications, although other CAN bus protocols are supported equally well. We recommend the Yakut CLI tool for use with Babel; however, there is a wide selection of software products that can talk with SLCAN adapters and therefore are compatible with Babel, too.
- Low latency. The overall latency between the USB port on the host system and the CAN bus is under 1 millisecond.
- High throughput. The device handles over 5000 frames per second in either direction continuously.
- Standard UCANPHY connectors.
- Proper prioritization of outgoing CAN frames. The adapter schedules outgoing frames properly, avoiding the inner priority inversion problem in the transmission queue.
- Large RX buffer allows the device to handle short-term traffic bursts without frame losses when interfaced via low-speed UART.
- Embedded software-controlled 120Ω termination resistor.
- The CAN bus can be powered from USB via a software-controlled bus power switch. This enables, among other things, easy testing and configuration of Cyphal/CAN-interfaced peripherals.
- Quasi-standard SLCAN interface (a.k.a. LAWICEL) to the host system makes the adapter compatible with a variety of software products available on the market.
- No drivers needed for Windows, macOS, GNU/Linux.